Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yarn crawling with the Harlot


Bright and early Saturday morning, I found my bleary-eyed self heading into downtown via Go Transit, Subway, and Street Car for the yarn crawl with the harlot. Being a suburbia mom driving a minivan, public transportation confuses me. I think I consulted the map about 20 times before jumping on the right train/car. Everyone met here first:

We took the street cars most of the time and I think we got a few funny looks from the passengers. Not every day do you see 20-some people whipping out their needles at the same time. Knitters - we love to travel in packs.

How many knitters can fit into a bus shelter? 20 - well, that's only because we ran out of knitters. Maybe we should have try to find a phone booth?Our 2nd stop. A very chic and Uber cool yarn shop. It's like the Banana Republic of knitting.
3rd Stop - the famous Romni Wools. I think I died and went to yarn heaven. Every colors, brands, materials a knitter can every dream of. While I was in there, I was mentally calculating how much money I can get for my left kidney. Since this was my first time in there, I was totally overwhelm. I would have to make the trip back there by myself really soon.
4th Stop - Lettuce Knit. What a sweet and charming little shop. It's much smaller than I had imagined it but it carried some really nice wools and the cutest accessories. Since we were already in Kensington Market, we stop for lunch at the Big Fat Burritos. The food there is brilliant. I'm thinking about going back there in a couple of days just to have the burritos. A girl can never have too much Guacamole!5th and last stop: Alterknit. A little cafe equipped with chocolate, caffeine and yarn. What a combination!
My purchase: I had to practice more discipline and restraint than a celibate monk. I think I did pretty good. 4 balls of Lang Mille (doesn't really count since it's a gift for my mother), 3 hanks of Misti Cotton, 2 hank of natural Kraemer (I'm hoping to hand dye it myself), 4 balls of sock yarns.
All in all.... it was a fabulous day spent with the Guru and fellow knitters. I had good food, good conversations and awesome shopping spree. I'm planning to organize another yarn crawl really soon...... just me and my Visa!



3 comments on "Yarn crawling with the Harlot"

Cathoo on May 28, 2007 at 9:05 PM said...

I'd say we were all totally overwhelmed by the entire trip! I'm glad you had a good time :)

ColorJoy LynnH on May 29, 2007 at 11:03 PM said...

The most fun one can have, I'd say, with a bunch of other folks having fun. It was a superlative day and the weather cooperated fully.

Laughing is good medicine. I think we all will live forever now!!!

Let's hope we connect again sometime. Will you be at New York Sheep and Wool/Rhinebeck?

Anonymous said...

It was SO much fun! It was great to meet you!

 

The Joys of Knitting Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez