Saturday, May 26, 2007

My Knitting Idol


Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka Yarn Harlot) had launched her Cast Off book here in Canada this past Friday. Yours truly was there to catch a glimpse of her and to finally reaffirm self that knitting is totally not for losers. It's hard not to feel isolated and weird sometime since I live with a muggle who thinks a sweater on sale for $20 from Sears is superior to the one that I spent 60 hours knitting, frogging and re-knitting again.

Needless to say, the book store was cramped with enthusiastic knitters waving their pointy little sticks and gushing about the latest bamboo yarns. I felt like I finally found my way home! Even though I got there early,they still only had standing room left. The atmosphere was incredible. Anxious knitters awaiting their guru to make an entrance and nervous employees standing guard, velvet roping entrances (tres VIP). The applause was thunderous when the Harlot arrived.....and if you think her writing is amusing and funny........she's more hilarious in real life!
I was standing right next to her daughter (Meghan, friend and Ken)
Here's Joe, her husband (god, I'm such a groupie!)A signed book and a pic with the author herself...
While waiting in line, I mentioned to another knitter that knitting cable is hard without a cable needle. She taught me right then and there how to do it. I love knitters!
After the signing, I went to the Spotted Dick for the after party. I must say, I preferred my Dick to be unspotted! (oh, get your mind out of the gutter!.....I just don't like raisins in my bread pudding!) There were quite a number of us there and I would imagine that when morning came, a lot of tinking had to be done.

The very next morning, I went on a yarn crawl with the Harlot. More to come in another post...

3 comments on "My Knitting Idol"

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Just thought that after meeting you at the harlot's book signing I would check out your lovely blog. Nice work! You've certainly done a lot of projects in a super short amount of time. Can't wait to find out how your yarn crawl went!

theresa on May 27, 2007 at 7:31 PM said...

Oh, I am so jealous. Glad that you had a great time out. Did you buy more yarn!!?? Pictures, please!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy! It was great to meet you at the pub on Friday: I had a great time, and it's awesome you had such a fun time Friday and Saturday too! I look forward to "getting to know you" via our blogs :) Happy knitting!

 

The Joys of Knitting Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez