Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cute as a bug


I have a new love in my life.

No, I am not having a hot, illicit affair, nor is it the new Addi Click (but I'm sure I will soon be jumping on that bandwagon anyway) nor is it a rare and exquisite Wollmeise in the perfect colour. No, my new fascination is more weirder than that. It's the Ladybug Spinning Wheel by Schacht

Why is it weird? I mean, anyone who loves yarn and fibre this much will eventually want to spin and own her own spinning wheel. It's a natural progression, right?

It's weird because I really don't want to spin. I am perfectly happy with my yarns that comes in a beautiful wound skeins with glossy labels that I can get at the store. Why bother to stoop and bend over a wheel so I can produce 3o gram of crappy, lumpy yarns? I have always been a secure knitter. I know that my love affair with fibre will always be yarns that is arranged neatly by color-coded shelf in a shop.

I first laid eyes on this wheel in September when I attended a fibre fair. This wheel had just came out and there were spinners test-driving it and oohing and aahing over it. I remember thinking to myself that this is like "the IKEA" of the spinning wheel. It's streamline and it's bright colour attracted me. I started to imagine myself sitting there and miraculously knowing how to use it.

Of course, I have nothing against the old-style, fairy tale spinning wheel. I mean, Sleeping Beauty can prick her little fingers on it all she wants but it never going to appeal to me. Those kind of wheels reminds me of an old-fashion, Dutch Pennsylvanian woman in the 18th century that would use it. For the Ladybug, I picture a sassy, modern woman.

Now, let's get one thing straight. I don't know how to spin. Only came within 10 feet of a real wheel once, can't drop a spindle if my life depends on it (nor do I want to). However, I find myself obsessing and longing for this wheel purely for it's aesthetic qualities.

I wonder if $600 is too much money to spend on a piece of furniture that does nothing more than go round and round?

2 comments on "Cute as a bug"

Anonymous said...

Your post made me giggle! I have seen a lot of knitters go down this route! I personally have no interest in spinning BUT you never know right??? :)
I love your blog template!

Jackie on January 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM said...

Hi Joy I came across your blog on Ravelry. I am glad to know that Spun rents out the wheels. I have been reading blogs about spinning and have this urg to try but like you no nothing about it. I live in the Burlington area and would love to learn how to spin. Does spun offer classes on spinning.
When do you get your new wheel.
Can't wait to watch your progress.

 

The Joys of Knitting Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez