Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lady Dye


Well, after enough convincing my hubby, ie: begging, withholding the wifely duty and threatening, I finally put in an order with my LYS for the Schacht Ladybug Wheel. I don't know when it would be arriving, possibly 2-3 weeks? In the meantime, I looked into dyeing my own roving to help take the edge off.

After consulting Ravelry, various blogs and Youtube, I was ready to start dyeing. A lot of dyer uses Jacquard Acid Dye and I have no idea where to buy it in Canada so I settled for Dylon Cold Dyes that you can pick up at Fabricland for 3 bucks.

After reading the instructions from Dylon on how to dye wool - I said to myself, "Screw it, I'll just wing it". Can you tell I'm not much of an instruction follower? I went out to the dollar store and armed myself with squeeze bottles, gloves and a bunch of newspaper.

This is my "studio" - my kitchen floor


I tapped some dye into my squeeze bottles. No science, just tap....tap.....tap. Filled it with an inch of hot water, stir and filled the rest of it with vinegar. And I just start squeezing it on the wools.

No Rhymes, no Reason. It was quite fun.

Afterward, I wrapped it up into a little roll and stuck it in the steamer


Put the lid on and steamed for 30-40 min. Or about that since I was watching a re-run of Friends and totally was not watching the time.

After a while, the whole house smells like steamed vinegar and sheep. YUCK! I will be sure to remember to open the window next time.

Afterward, I dropped the rolls sans plastic into a sink full of hot water with a bit of liquid dishwater detergent and let it sit for 15 min.


After it cools down, released the water and transfer it to a lukewarm rinse water for another 15 min. Having a double sink really helps too


After about 15 min, I squeezed all the water out, ran the roving in the spin cycle of my machine (not for the faint of heart) and hung it on the curtain rod of the bathroom to dry over night.

It turned out pretty decent the next morning. My first three roving:

4 oz. Corriedale Top


2 oz. Corriedale Top

2 oz. Corriedale Top

hhhmmmmm.... I can really get into this!

3 comments on "Lady Dye"

BooksandWool on January 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM said...

Now I wont be as intimidated to try this. Bring it to next Pub Night so we can all look and feel.

Shelley

Jackie on January 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM said...

I am impressed. Looks great. I guess there is hope for me yet.


Jackie

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

-SP

 

The Joys of Knitting Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez