Thursday, February 5, 2009

Same job


During Knit Night last night, I found myself sitting next to another knitter who’s other life is a Director of Communication at a large corporation. We started to reminisced about how similar both of our jobs is to one another.

As a sales professional in the hospitality field, I am often described as a professional Bull-S*#!%ter. We are taught early on in our career to always put a positive spin in our hotel's short-comings. Over the years, I had practically eliminated certain words from my vocabulary only to replace it with a more “positive” one.

Below are some examples:

Small = Cozy
Small = Intimate
Sparse = Contemporary
Loud = Lends great acoustic qualities
Hot = Comfortably Warm
Impersonal = Lofty and Airy
Silly = Whimsical
Boring = Classic and Traditional


After having so many years of putting a spin on my words, I found myself lending that ability to describe my own knitting.

Scratchy = Rustic
A bad handspun = Designer yarn
A sweater riddled with mistakes = an original design
Obsessive = Focused
Logging on Ravelry 164th time that day = Keeping current with changing trends
A drunken knit night = staff meetings
Cheap wool = Eco-wool
10 balls of cheap, scratchy, rainbow-color tweed wool = It was on sale


Who knew that a Director of Sales and a Knitter would have the same job description?

0 comments on "Same job"

 

The Joys of Knitting Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez